We’re learning more about the GOP’s budget mess and it’s bad news all around. After the GOP turned a $928 million surplus into a $130 million deficit this year, they now expect Iowans to pay for their budget mistakes and corporate tax giveaways. You can check out the GOP’s 10 worst budget ideas below.
Our job is to hold the GOP accountable, but they are moving quickly again because they don’t want to hear from Iowans about their terrible ideas. That’s why we’re forcing them to hold a public hearing to hear from Iowans like you.
Here’s what you can do to help:
1. Come to the Capitol on Monday, April 17 at 10 am and sign up to speak
at the public hearing. If you can’t make it to the Capitol, please leave a comment here
and tell the GOP that Iowans shouldn’t have to pay for their budget mess.
and tell them Iowans shouldn’t have to pay for the GOP’s budget mess.
The Worst of the GOP Budget
- Higher tuition at community colleges and state universities (HF 642/SF 511)
- Cuts to early childhood education & preschool (HF 642/SF 511)
- 22% reduction to assist victims of domestic abuse and violent crimes (HF 644)
- Eliminate Planned Parenthood funding & reject $3 million in federal funding for family planning (Human Services)
- 25% reduction to REAP and close the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture at ISU (HF 641)
- Fewer correctional officers at Iowa’s already overcrowded prisons (HF 644)
- Cut job training & assistance for Iowans with disabilities (HF 642/SF 511)
- Slash funding for child care assistance & grants for foster kids to go to college (Human Services)
- Reduction to Cultural Trust Fund & tourism to improve quality of life (Economic Development)
Forums this Weekend
Attend a Forum!