From State Senate Minority Leader, Rob Hogg,
“I am asking you to continue to speak up with Republican legislators in Iowa to oppose their damaging and dangerous proposals that hurt workers and our economy, hurt students and our schools, hurt patients and our health care, and really hurt all Iowans and our future.
With your help, we can stop at least some of these proposals in this legislative session, and then take back the majority in 2018 to focus on better jobs, great schools, vibrant communities, access to health care, protecting our natural resources, and fiscal responsibility.
Speak Up For Iowans to Stop The “Dirty Dozen”
The Iowa Senate debate calendar for Monday, March 13, includes two of the “dirty dozen” – bills to circumvent the “Buy American” requirements on road projects (SF184/HF203) and to gut Iowa’s workers compensation system for work-related injuries and disabilities (SF435/HF518). Please contact Republican Senators today and urge them to support Iowa’s workers and vote no on these bills. For contact information for Iowa’s Senators, please visit www.legis.iowa.gov. We expect other damaging and dangerous bills to come up, perhaps as early as this week. Here are the rest of the “dirty dozen”:
1. Prohibit Local “Pre-Qualification” for Bidding (SF438) – passed Iowa Senate, now in Iowa House
2. Lower Local Minimum Wages (HF295) – passed Iowa House, now in Iowa Senate
3. Government Barriers to Voting (HF516) – passed Iowa House, now in Iowa Senate
4. Make Planned Parenthood Ineligible for Medicaid Reimbursement (SF2) – passed Iowa Senate, now in Iowa House
5. Create Religious Exemptions for Boarding School Regulations (SF443) – still in Iowa Senate
6. Eliminate Permits to Acquire Firearms, Other Firearm Changes (HF517) – passed Iowa House, now in Iowa Senate
7. Unfunded Mandate on Local Officials to Enforce Immigration Laws (SF481) – still in Iowa Senate
8. End Bottle and Can Deposit Law (HF575) – still in Iowa House
9. Take Away Local Control Of Water Supply (HF484/SF456) – Has not passed either chamber
10. Restrict Right To Bring Nuisance Lawsuit (HF468/SF447) – Has not passed either chamber