Electing Democrats to the Courthouse and the Statehouse
Breaking News: Iowa Republican politicians are cutting millions from Colleges, Human Services and Corrections
Clayton County Iowa Democrats
Republican politicians at the State Capitol are moving fast on their plan to cut millions from our community colleges, state universities, correctional facilities, and human services. Both the House and Senate Appropriations Committees just passed the bill (read it here) on TTuesday (1/24) evening and the final vote may be as soon as Thursday — Tomorrow.
Republicans are moving fast so they don’t have to listen to Iowans who disagree with them. Here’s what you need to know:
• Republicans politicians have created this budget deficit with corporate tax giveaways that now top over $500 million annually
• Iowa wouldn’t be faced with a $117 million budget deficit if Republicans had used better judgement
• Working families and students will now be forced to pay for the Republican corporate tax giveaways
• Republican budget cuts include: $18 million cut to ISU, UNI, and U of I; $3 million cut to community colleges; $38 million cut to Medicaid & human services; and $5.5 million cut to corrections
Democratic lawmakers are unified against these budget cuts, but we need your help. Here’s what you can do:
1. Find your legislators here. Call or email them and tell them to OPPOSE the budget cuts to education, public safety, and health care.
2. Email the Republican Vice-Chair of the House Appropriations Committee Ashley.Hinson@legis.iowa.gov and tell her to stand up for students and working families by voting NO on these harmful budget cuts
2. Email the Republican Vice-Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee Tim.Kraayenbrink@legis.iowa.gov and tell him to stand up for students and working families by voting NO on these harmful budget cuts